Friday, October 29, 2010

First Surfrider Water Testing Starting 10-28-2010

The Emerald Coast Chapter of the Surfirder Foundation has agreed to fund a Water testing program in our area. Mike Sturdivant is the President of the Chapter and will be my contact to operate the testing progam.

We have had several incidents of "surfer sickness" during some of our swells since BP capped the well in early August. I believe we all need to have some idea as to what is going on in terms of the environment we recreate in. Unfortunately right now we just don't have any local, state of federal testing data to look at in the areas we frequent.

Today we tested two sites, Terry's Cove aka Cotton Bayou State Park and the Jetty @ Alabama Point. These are certainly our two most surfed areas so I felt like we should get some test run here immediately. Test results take 2-3 weeks to get back from the lab. I will post results and blast everyone via email.

Maps of the two sites tested

Cotton Bayou State Park aka Terry's Cove

View 30.269094, -87.581871 in a larger map">

Alabama Point

View Larger Map">

I will be looking for volunteers to help with the process in the coming weeks so hit me up on gmail chuckb74atgmaildotcom.

I have some photo's I'll be posting. Thanks

No comments:

Post a Comment